Planned Features for Alpha 3: Gluon 0.72.0 (Alpha Particle) (In Development)
(Blockers block the release of this Alpha, Non-blockers do not but are nice to have.)
- GluonObject Dependency Graph - Track dependencies between objects, like Components using Assets.
- Support serializing lists properly - Make it possible to store properties that are lists of objects.
- Initial Playlist support - Create lists of sounds and play them sequentially or in random order.
- Start using ffmpeg for decoding - One single dependency for audio decoding making it far more manageable.
- Last bits of cleanup - Audio will no longer depend directly on libsndfile, instead all will be handled by alure or ffmpeg.
- Advanced Playlist features - Script-based track advancement and others.
- Channels - Create channels that have a single-volume level for a set of sounds, like "Effects" and "Music".
- General Performance Improvements - More intelligent rendering code should improve the performance.
- Cleanup - Some bits of API are not fully implemented yet and need to be updated.
- Context Management - Manually managing the OpenGL contexts means we can support rendering to multiple contexts.
- Particle Systems support
- Render to Texture - Already supported to some degree, fully implement support for it.
- Mesh Loading - Make it possible to load meshes from files.
- Abstract Input Actions - Create actions that are independent of input device and can be remapped to use different devices.
- XInput2 backend - Use XInput2 to gain access to all devices and events from those devices.
- Scene loading process - Use the dependency graph to load all the necessary assets before starting the scene.
- Prefabs - Use a (collection of) GameObject(s) as an asset that can be reused.
- Physics Engine integration - Use an engine like Bullet and create a set of components that integrate it into Gluon.
- Asset Mimetypes - Determine what type of data is supplied by assets and make it possible to filter based on that data.
- Statistics and Achievement - Season of KDE project, implement a statistic tracking and achievement system.
- SMARTS Behaviour Trees - Summer of Code project, integrate the SMARTS behavior tree system into Gluon.
- Profile Support - Select which assets and other things to use based on device parameters.
- Smoke*based QtScript bindings
- Scene*global scripts
Also see the todo page for features currently being implemented.
Planned Features for Gluon 1.0 (In Development)
- Up/Download Games with versioning
- Rate, comment games
- Up/Download assets
- Create/Save/Publish projects
- Download and Edit projects
- Edit/Play view, play in the editor
- Docs (!)
- Project & Scene management
- Edit object properties
- Debug/Release mode
- Run on *nix, mac, win
- Runs on *nix, mac, win, maemo, (other mobile platforms?)
- View, Download and play games
- Play without logging in
- Rate and comment from within the app
- Achievements, Donations, Highscores
- Sharing screenshots
- Rating screenshots
- Direct messages
- Object hierarchy consisting of components that may reference assets
- Asset objects that represent some piece of game data
- Integrated scripting through QtScript
- Modern game loop implementation (Fixed update, variable frame rate)
- Project objects that allow creation of games without compiling
- Object-based rendering engine
- Fully fixed-function free rendering pipeline
- Complex shader-based material system
- Advanced post-processing effect support
- Extensive node-based material and effects editor available through Gluon Creator
- Full 3d positional audio support
- Streaming audio support using many audio formats
- Playlist support for background music with different track change triggers
- Dynamic background music generation
- Multiple mice support
- Designed for game use
- Abstracts the native input system of the platform
- Full*text declarative language to describe object structures
- Extend QVariant to remember the old object type when setting new values
- Extensible, modular object framework
Planned Features for Gluon 1.1
- Friendly stuff
- Recommend to friends & stuff
- Git versioning support
- Asset packages (Asset bundles from Unity)
- Tags for GluonObjects (for search, filter, findChildrenByTag...)
Planned Features for Post Gluon 1.1
- Realtime communication and everythhing